Monday, June 21, 2010

Father Time is stingy

I got rushed off the phone by a 15 year old girl today on her birthday. I didn't take it too personally, since I did mention that I remembered her birth...teens don't like that...and it makes me feel old.  "Where does the time go" is a stupid thing to say, or ask, so I won't.  But I will note that it is pretty amazing how quickly time flies by. I mean by looking at her, she is a completely grown up woman. And I remember bathing her and her sisters and holding them and loving them like they were my own babies. Living in different cities from all the kids in one's family puts an intense time stamp on children, and seeing them so much bigger than you last remember is unsettling! I just wish I had more time to spend with them when they were all still little. There's never enough time.

I wish I had met my husband sooner for so many reasons, but none more simple than just wanting more time with him.  Neither of us would change the years we had before we met, it's just nice to think about having always been together instead of trying to play catch up. We have been married nearly two years, and I want about a thousand. It could even be split up: One complete lifetime to talk and soak up each other's brain in entirety.  And one lifetime to have a huge family.  Alas, we simply cannot have both in these mere mortal forms.

I used to wish I could live forever, but I know now there are far too many dimwits out there...and I think Devo is right: we're devolving. So the odds of it all just getting better and better as I age not so gracefully into my 100s are, well, about as good as me living  into my 100s (gracefully or not).  Whatever does happen, I'm doing my best to embrace the now and appreciate it because it won't be here long.

No comments:

Post a Comment