Monday, June 21, 2010

Neighborhood warmth

Saturday night one of our neighbors had a party just for the occupants of our street.  A meet and greet, if you will.  Much to everyone's surprise, we decided to go and be sociable. we don't really know anyone on our street since we live on the end, and we are pretty much the newest arrivals.
We left our house and arrived at the party about 30 seconds later. We are ushered to the back where we grab a plate of food and sit down amongst total strangers to eat. One older gentlemen I had met before, as most people stop and talk to me if I am doing yard work in the front.  But for all the others, this was a first meeting. Thank goodness we all had name tags!
Everyone loves talking to my hubby, so I was pretty quiet during dinner. Old men compete for his attention to tell of their past work, travels, etc. I'm sure he's not enthused, but he puts on a sweet smile that makes me proud. We were told what a nice couple we are :)

Then we got a tour of the house.  It has been remodeled inside and out, and was absolutely beautiful.  I was surprised that house was in my neighborhood!  As you might have guessed, the owner of the house is, gasp, a contractor! Every wall of that house has been modified somehow, but it was awesome. So many ingenious ideas...it really gave me hope and inspiration for my own fledgling domicile. For instance, turning 4 base cabinets back to back and making it an island with a nice piece of granite. Viola! Instant luxury.  They also built onto the house, in two additions.  One is a master suite addition that is to die for. It has a fireplace, French doors to outside, skylights, room for workout equipment...you get the idea. Their original floor plan was very similar to ours, so visions a master suite have been swimming in my head for days.

Obviously I was more interested in the house than meeting all the people, but everyone we talked to was very nice.  In fact, we are invited over to more than one neighbor's house to see their remodeling any time we want. Which is cool for me, being nosy and all.

While there, I also found out that one of our neighbors died a few weeks ago. He was 48, married with a daughter. Apparently he had brain cancer and it took him pretty quickly. His wife and daughter were at the party and I couldn't bring myself to meet her. I was amazed by her presence...I wasn't sure if I could do the same. I thought a whole lot about my life after hearing her story. I know there is nothing you can do to make sure no one you love dies, but if hope helps, then my mate will live forever! Many of the neighbors went to that man's funeral I hear. I love that. The idea of neighbors actually being good neighbors. I didn't grow up in a neighborhood, so such things are foreign to me. I remember feeling so alone when my Dad was sick...a neighborhood would've been nice then. I have always thought of this house as a starter home, one that we would grow out of.  But more and more I find myself wanting to stay. And if we do, that master suite will be mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment