Thursday, July 15, 2010

Best news all year!


All is well in baby land as my sister and her husband proudly welcomed TWO babies into the world yesterday afternoon.  With the girl weighing a respectful 5 lbs 11 oz and the boy 5 lbs 15 oz, everyone is healthy and happy, albeit tired. The twins were carried almost to full term, so no ICU or extra stay is needed for them, which in itself is amazing.

When her oldest son was born, I was beside myself with angst. It is so hard to live far apart in situations such as this, and it's the worst feeling sometimes. I cried about not being able to be there, feeling like she needs me. I sent some flowers and hopped a plane two weeks later. This time I will be up there less than a week after birth, so at least the wait won't be so bad. But I still wish I were there. It's a helpless feeling to be in a different state waiting for someone to call with news, but thank goodness my sis got my mom a cell phone! And besides, hospitals are chaotic and I'm not really a fan anyway. This way I get to go home with them instead.

I am excited to see all the babies but I am most excited to see my sister. I am so happy for her and she is such a great mom.  We did have a pretty good one to learn from, but she is so patient and loving it's a joy to watch. She adores being a mom and you can see it when she looks at her toddler. The love in her eyes brings tears to mine, and her kids will probably never know just how far their mother would go for them.  Not being a mother myself, I am curious about several aspects of it, and appreciate watching someone truly enjoy and embrace motherhood. I think her kids are pretty lucky already just to have her as a mom...me as an Aunt is just a cool bonus! :)

Did I mention my trip is for 3 weeks? I'm torn about leaving home for so long, but being there for so long was an easy choice.  My mom is taking some time off too so it'll be a fun girl reunion! Well, in between crying, feeding, diapers, etc. Plus it's a great excuse to beat this TX heat!

I have no idea how blogging will go while I'm away.  I'm thinking I'll be tired on a level I'm not used to so I am not making any promises to get anything in particular done.

Wow, I just realized this puts me as an Aunt NINE times! Between my two brothers, one sister, and the Mr.'s two sisters....and finally a little niece on my side. SEVEN nephews all on [my dad's] side, one niece from marriage, and finally one niece from my sister. I love it!

Until next time-
Aunt Tiffy x9

No comments:

Post a Comment